So you’ve created an e-Course that you really believe in and you know how powerful this content will be for participants. But before you can get it in the hands of all your dreamiest customers, you must look at how to build a list so that you can meet your e-Course sales target and really make an impact.
Why is it important to build a list?
1. It’s a numbers game
You may have heard a statistic rolling around that says you need 1,000 people on your list before you launch a product such as an e-Course. This statistic is based on average sales conversion rates between 0.5-2%.
Tara Gentile talks about the following as being standard:
- You send an email and get a 40% open rate (this is actually quite high expect 20-40%)
- Then 10% click through
- And of those 10% – 2% convert to a sale
For example: if you have a list of 1,000 people, 400 open your sales email and then 40 people click through and 1 person converts to a sale.
This is the expected results per email and in an e-Course launch, you would send anywhere from 5-30 emails depending on your wider launch strategy.
So if you have a sales target of 100 e-Course sales, it’s easy to see why building a list is a good place to invest your energy.
2. Preaching to the converted
To build a list means cultivating a community of subscribers who are engaged and interested in what you have to offer. They know who you are, they know what you do and they trust you enough to give you sacred space in their inbox.
Selling your e-Course to an engaged community is far more rewarding than going for the hard sell on social media. This isn’t the time to start convincing people how incredible you are, it’s the time to gather the people who already know you’re amazing and speak to them!
3. Keeping it fresh
If you’re in the second, third or fourth launch of your e-Course then you want to get your product in front of new eyes. Growing your list in between launches allows you to reach fresh audiences who are interested in your e-Course. You don’t want to be selling your e-Course to the same people round after round.Building your list allows you to reach new and fresh audiences with each launch. Click To Tweet
Now you know why you should build a list but what’s the best way to do this? The answer is an irresistible free opt-in!
When deciding on a free opt-in for your e-Course launch you should ensure that it does one or more of the following things:
- Removes an objection to signing up for your e-Course
- Gives them a taste of your course
- Leaves people feeling enthusiastic, inspired, confident and energised about the subject matter and their ability to achieve the objectives of the course
- Solves just one problem your ideal participant has relating to the course subject matter and therefore positions you as an expert and someone who can help them further
Requirements of a pre-launch opt-in
- Your opt-in should be high quality and, if possible, professionally designed or produced
- Your opt-in should be valuable and tailored to your ideal participant avatar to encourage them to sign up
- It should position you as the expert and leave your subscribers wanting more so that they sign-up to your course
Examples of pre-launch opt-ins
A simple opt-in can be simply amazing.
I’m going to talk about a range of more complex opt-ins but sometimes people just want a PDF download that is useful, relevant and that helps them to take action and move forward, for example a simple planning tool such as a meal planner or shopping list.
Lead Pages have done extensive testing of opt-ins and they have found that a simple resources list converts much better in many cases than a more complex opt-in strategy such as a video series.
However, you can take it a step further and provide a really high quality and quite detailed PDF opt-in like the Rapid Growth Plan – you can check out this resource at the opt-in below.
The video series strategy was made famous by Jeff Walker of the Product Launch Formula and is now widely used by online entrepreneurs.
The basic premise of a video series is that it is multiple videos (generally no more than four) that take your audience on a journey and also strategically overcome objections.
When developing a video series you should think about your ideal participant and consider:
- How can I give them some free education to position myself as the expert and build trust and credibility?
- What are their objections to doing my e-Course and how can I overcome them?
- What are their fears about doing my e-Course or about moving forward in this area of their life and how can I reduce or eliminate them?
- What do they need to be ready to do my e-Course and how can I get them there?
Psst, if you want an example of a video series then you should check out my three part video training on the strategies for epic e-Course success.
Challenges have become quite popular over the last year or two. The basic concept is that you create a challenge on a topic with a set goal and it runs for a set period of time with (generally) daily tasks or actions.
Some challenges have free Facebook groups attached, some are run via social media and some are email only challenges. Some challenges incorporate multiple delivery modes.
Your challenge should have:
- A specific topic and preferably a name and mini-brand of its own
- A set outcome
- A plan of daily tasks
- A method to deliver the tasks
- A hashtag (if using social media)
The 30 Day List Building Challenge by Nathalie Lussier is the perfect example of an opt-in challenge (and the daily content has everything you need to know to build your list in just 30 days).
The goal of all these opt-in examples is to collect as many emails as possible of people who are potentially interested in your e-Course. You then have a targeted and engaged list of people who want to hear from you and that you can sell directly to. And with a list like this, you’ll be hitting your e-Course sales targets in no time!
If you want to dive deeper into growing your list and you want to do it now then Nathalie Lussier’s 30 Day List Building Challenge is starting a LIVE journey from January 25! The daily step-by-step bite sized videos will give you lots of $0 budget list-building tips, heaps of different ways to build your list and all the know-how of designing an amazing opt-in giveaway that gets shared like a cherished recipe for homemade apple crumble (yum!).
You’ll even receive a special 30-day printable schedule that you can follow day-by-day to reach those list building goals and the chance to win some amazing prizes! This challenge has everything you need for mailing list success so jump on over here to get started!